Topic 3 - Learning in communities – networked & collaborative learning



Image by johnhain is licensed under CC0 1.0

 


The topic for these 2 weeks is collaboration and I thought it could be a good idea to start this blog post with a short reflection about our own collaboration in our PBL13-group.
I think that our collaboration works very good and I think it has improved since the first topic. Even though we are a large group, where some are more active than others, I experience that everyone contributes to the work in their own way. Some of us can´t attend every online meeting, which is fine, but we all still contribute, when we discuss online or work in the FISh-document. When collaborating online, I think the synchronous and asynchronous work are equally important!

When thinking and reflecting about online collaboration, I don´t think it differs that much from collaborating in real life. I think that collaboration works in the same way, collaborating online or if you meet in person. You can have your meetings, work with a project together synchronously and asynchronously, have discussions, comment on each other’s contributions and so on. I think that with all the digital tools you can use today, an online collaboration can work as smoothly as a collaboration in real life can do.

Capdeferro and Romer (2012) did a study where they tried to identify the sources to frustration when collaborating online. They identified imbalance in commitment, unshared goals, communication etc. Imbalance in commitment and effort are connected to how active you are in the group. I think it´s much easier to be absent when working online, than in real life. If you’re taking a course and working on a project together, it is easy to just stop responding to emails, posts, being inactive in forums and not contribute at all. It is easier to come up with excuses because no one can control them. It is much easier to just disappear in cyberspace...

During our online meetings, I have experienced another source to frustration, which I could add to the list. Wi-Fi connection! My connection turned out to be not so good and are causing disturbing troubles for me during our online meetings. Sometimes my screen freeze, I can´t hear the others and I miss important information!


References 
Capdeferro, N. and Romero, M. (2012) Are Online Learners Frustrated with Collaborative Learning Experiences? The International Review in Open and Distributed Learning, 13:2



Comments

  1. Elisabeth, we share the same opinion - collaboration in PBL13 has very much improved! We are becoming more open and more eager to discuss - I guess it is because that we know each other better and the bonds are forming between us :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right, collaboration is very much improved and everybody gets involved in the way they can. Also I agree that it is much easier to disappear when you work online. But somehow later when the bonds of the group becomes stronger you feel that you can't just disappear, we came gere together so we have to do it together supporting each other :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we need to improve on asynchronous collaboration in all courses and activities. We often focus too much on synchronous meetings (both on-site and online) and we often have too many of them. If done well I think asynchronous work is much more effective than synchronous but most people don't know how to do it.
    I totally agree about wifi. It is great for many things but synchronous video meetings are a problem when the bandwidth changes several times a minute.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Topic 5 - Lessons learnt – future practice

Topic 1 – Online participation and digital literacies